Sunday, October 10, 2010

Meritorious case or Not: Who will continue the abusive, political, and malicious style of Justus?

Race: District Attorney Posted October 9, 2010 at 4:33 p.m., updated October 9, 2010 at 4:48 p.m. Jimenez Skurka CORPUS CHRISTI — The district attorney leads an office of more than 60, including about 40 prosecutors and 20 support staff members. The office handles the prosecution of misdemeanor and felony cases in Nueces County. Republican candidate Anna Jimenez was appointed to the top spot in March by Gov. Rick Perry after the departure of longtime District Attorney Carlos Valdez. Jimenez is running against Mark Skurka, a Democrat and former longtime prosecutor, to fill the final two years of the unexpired term. The position pays about $125,00 a year with a $12,000 county supplement. Anna Jimenez Age: 41 Occupation: District attorney Experience: Jimenez, a former English teacher, spent about six years in private practice focusing on criminal defense, juvenile law, family law and probate. In 2006, she joined the Nueces County District Attorney’s Office as a special prosecutor in the child victims’ unit. While in that unit, she helped secure more than 50 convictions with prison time for child molesters and also tried various other felony cases, including capital murder along with family violence, drug, theft and gang cases. Gov. Rick Perry appointed Jimenez to lead the office in March. What makes you the best person for this office? I am the best person for this office because I have the experience, organization, leadership skills and work ethic necessary to run the office. I have made positive changes to improve production at the district attorney’s office for the benefit and safety of this community in a very short period of time. I am not afraid to be on the front line in the courtroom or in the community doing whatever is necessary to protect our citizens. Given the budget constraints of the county, what other avenues would you use to increase the starting pay for prosecutors and help with retention? In order to increase the pay for prosecutors I will use the drug forfeiture fund, the pretrial diversion fund and the income from hot check division. I am also applying for several grants that will bring more funding into the office. With fiscal responsibility it is my hope that we can shift money from areas within our current budget i.e. going paperless has saved hundreds of dollars a month that may be used for the benefit of prosecutors. What have you done to improve the district attorney’s office and what ideas do you have for the future? Since my appointment the office has reduced a backlog of 850 cases, opened hot check division, reduced the redundant paperwork in the processing of indictments, brought organization to the drug forfeiture division, introduced a training program for prosecutors, created a domestic violence unit, gone paperless, established criteria for veterans’ court, created a stronger relationship with law enforcement, and sought justice for crime victims. In the future, I will work to strengthen the team to give victims the expert legal representation they deserve. Mark Skurka Age: 51 Occupation: Attorney Experience: Skurka began working at the district attorney’s office in 1986 while waiting for his bar results. He wrote about 26 appellate briefs until his results came in showing he passed the bar on the first try. He was a trial supervisor in 1990 to 2000 and then became first assistant district attorney. He has tried about 100 jury trials including nine capital murder trials which resulted in the death penalty. He has trained prosecutors, law enforcement and crime scene technicians in all areas of criminal law. As first assistant, he was the chief administrator for 40 attorneys and 25 support staff. What makes you the best person for this office? I have the experience, dedication and qualifications for this office. I have the integrity and honesty needed. Citizens deserve a district attorney who they can trust to make the right decisions in difficult cases. I am board certified in criminal law, have over 23 years experience in prosecution, and have dedicated my entire legal career to the protection of our community. A district attorney must be an administrator, a trial attorney and an expert in criminal law. Given the budget constraints of the county, what other avenues would you use to increase the starting pay for prosecutors and help with retention? Throughout my time with the office, I have sought ways to improve salaries and help retain attorneys. I have obtained grants to fund a gang prosecutor, a drug prosecutor and a child abuse prosecutor. I did a salary survey of like sized prosecutors’ offices and adjacent counties for the Commissioners Court two years ago. It showed the office is understaffed and underfunded. I worked with some judges to use pretrial diversion funds to hire two prosecutors this year. What have you done to improve the district attorney’s office and what ideas do you have for the future? I instituted monthly legal education sessions for the prosecutors; purchased audio visual equipment for prosecutors to use in court; assisted in setting up procedures between the office and law enforcement with checklists, electronic communication, and search warrants for blood in DWI cases. I plan to update the office computers, incorporate better technology and streamline the process for criminal cases. Most of all, I plan to bring integrity, good judgment and decisions based on the law and evidence back to the office. © 2010 Corpus Christi Caller Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Email Discuss Share » Digg Facebook LinkedIn Tweet this Print Buzz up! Also in Local News More A bayfront opportunity? Controversial formula popular Couples hope wedding will be a perfect 10 Comments » 17 Hide October 9, 2010 5:53 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post Riptide writes: I'm a republican and will vote republican except for Anna Jimenez. This woman is power hungry. She want's everyone to know that she is the BOSS ! ! She came on just to strong. October 9, 2010 6:08 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post 50rider writes: Anna has got my vote! She has shown she is not afraid to step on toes and get things done. I heard nothing but good things from her subordinates and that's what I would want in voting for a leader. Skurka has had plenty of time to step up to the plate but, has never done it! Time for change in Nueces county! October 9, 2010 6:43 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post wflemley writes: in response to Riptide: I'm a republican and will vote republican except for Anna Jimenez. This woman is power hungry. She want's everyone to know that she is the BOSS ! ! She came on just to strong. Wife and I are new to CC. We trust your judgment on this. Be sure to bring a tea bag to the voting location. October 9, 2010 7:06 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post wflemley writes: Does the C-T publish the ballot in time for early voting? October 9, 2010 7:32 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post boardwalk writes: The right choice is Mark Skurka! October 9, 2010 7:49 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post FunSucker writes: in response to 50rider: Anna has got my vote! She has shown she is not afraid to step on toes and get things done. I heard nothing but good things from her subordinates and that's what I would want in voting for a leader. Skurka has had plenty of time to step up to the plate but, has never done it! Time for change in Nueces county! I agree. Everyone complains about the good ole boy system here in Corpus, well, now is your chance to get rid of one of them once and for all. Jimenez may have come on strong and probably should have gone about some of the changes she made in a different way, but at least she has the guts to make those changes and is not afraid of rocking the boat. Jimenez has my vote. October 9, 2010 8:07 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post secedetexas writes: in response to FunSucker: I agree. Everyone complains about the good ole boy system here in Corpus, well, now is your chance to get rid of one of them once and for all. Jimenez may have come on strong and probably should have gone about some of the changes she made in a different way, but at least she has the guts to make those changes and is not afraid of rocking the boat. Jimenez has my vote. me three. I don't claim she is perfect, she is still a lawyer after all, but definitely a step in the right direction. I love to see all the strong women stepping up to leadership positions. October 9, 2010 8:20 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post kiki2010 writes: in response to wflemley: Wife and I are new to CC. We trust your judgment on this. Be sure to bring a tea bag to the voting location. "Power hungry"..no..I had the privilege of watching her in action back in July. Not only did she have me at the edge of my seat, she had me in tears. She is a great attorney and stands for what she believes, and that makes her a POWERFUL WOMAN! She has my vote 100%! October 9, 2010 9:08 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post erreyes writes: in response to 50rider: Anna has got my vote! She has shown she is not afraid to step on toes and get things done. I heard nothing but good things from her subordinates and that's what I would want in voting for a leader. Skurka has had plenty of time to step up to the plate but, has never done it! Time for change in Nueces county! I agree with you! A vote for Mark will not bring change to the DA's office. Anna has done a great job of cleaning house. October 9, 2010 9:20 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post ridley writes: I think the woman who cleared up the backlog for her resigned because Jimenez had totally politicized the office. October 9, 2010 9:44 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post erreyes writes: in response to Riptide: I'm a republican and will vote republican except for Anna Jimenez. This woman is power hungry. She want's everyone to know that she is the BOSS ! ! She came on just to strong. Sounds like you have a problem with women in a leadership position. I want a District Attorney that acts like a boss and is in charge! October 9, 2010 9:47 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post Gatekeeper writes: May the Best person Win... October 9, 2010 10:06 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post DrJackShepherd writes: With all of the corruption in Corpus Christi politics, it is refreshing to see someone who is willing to go against the flow and hold politicians and city workers accountable to Texas law. Jimenez has my vote. October 9, 2010 10:40 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post southtexas1 writes: Go Anna Go! October 9, 2010 10:41 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post PlanoDealer writes: I know three attorneys who have either been let go or resigned from the DA office and two others still on staff there. Jimenez is a freakin' nightmare. She got rid of those who might rival her politically (take the job she did not win) and threw mud trying to discredit them. These attorneys are fine prosecutors and had GREAT track records in the courts. Jimenez is one GOP candidate who does not get my vote...and I vote vastly republican. I recognize political maneuvers when I see them...and she's been pulling them since Perry appointed her. October 9, 2010 11:01 p.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post punk_rawk_grrl writes: in response to erreyes: Sounds like you have a problem with women in a leadership position. I want a District Attorney that acts like a boss and is in charge! Sounds like you're making assumptions about Riptide's valid opinion. This is not an issue of feminism, it is an issue of who is the best candidate for district attorney. As a woman, I am all about QUALIFIED, COMPETENT women being in leadership positions, not power hungry nut jobs like Anna Jimenez. I want a DA who leads by earning the respect of his or her team, not someone who "acts like a boss", ie, bossy. Bossiness does not equal leadership October 10, 2010 12:45 a.m. Suggest removal Reply to this post wowitsme writes: in response to punk_rawk_grrl: Sounds like you're making assumptions about Riptide's valid opinion. This is not an issue of feminism, it is an issue of who is the best candidate for district attorney. As a woman, I am all about QUALIFIED, COMPETENT women being in leadership positions, not power hungry nut jobs like Anna Jimenez. I want a DA who leads by earning the respect of his or her team, not someone who "acts like a boss", ie, bossy. Bossiness does not equal leadership And here I am again. Agreeing with you. No way will she get my vote, I have watched her single handed tear the DAs office apart. I have also watched Mark Skurka in action over the years and have seen what he can do. I will take him anyday over her. Come to think of it...I would take anyone over her. Scripps Interactive Newspapers Group 2010 The E.W. Scripps Co. More news from our local partners » Privacy Policy | User Agreement | About Our Ads

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always emailed this website post page to all my associates,
because if like to read it afterward my links will too.


Also visit my weblog: dui information

Panther Martial Arts said...

Halo, salam kenal dari Panther Martial Arts , kalau butuh informasi mengenai Taekwondo, Kempo, Judo dan Bela Diri lainnya, silakan mampir.